12.03.2012

Triforce Scarf!

Can I start by saying that I love The Legend of Zelda?

Ocarina-of-Time-Logo-600x341 I grew up playing Ocarina of Time on the N64 with my grandpa (Yes, my grandpa. Papaw taught me to love video games. He’s a cool dude). I can remember my junior high and high school days, rocking Hot Topic tee shirts plastered with my favorite bands and video games. I had some pretty cool Zelda shirts. I have fortunately retired those shirts for the sake of looking my age and better fashion choices, but I thought it might be cool to come up with a way to be fashionable and nerdy at the same time. Thus, the Triforce Scarf was born. If you don’t know what the Triforce is, I suggest the following:
A. Play The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Any game from the Zelda series will do, but OoT is my personal favorite.)
B. If you’re not the gaming type, just replace the term with the phrase “super cute triangle design” and pretend the nerdy stuff never happened. :)

IMG_2664

This project took a day, and only cost about 8 bucks! Walmart carries super cheap plain scarves, and JoAnn’s had some fun shimmer fabric spray paint. Here’s what I did!

Supplies:
Scarf / Scissors or rotary cutter / Contact Paper / Scrap Cardboard / Fabric Paint (I used spray shimmer paint, but you could easily use a regular fabric paint and brush it on) / A Permanent Marker

Step 1: Cut out a stencil from scrap cardboard, and trace it onto your contact paper in whatever formation you want your design in. (My contact paper wasn’t wide enough on its own, so I cut a strip to make up for the width and added it to the side. Make sure you cut your contact paper a bit longer and wider than the scarf itself to protect the edges when you paint)

Step 2: Cut your design out of the contact paper. (I used a rotary cutter and a piece of styrofoam to protect my work surface. If your design is more detailed, I would suggest scissors… and a giant cup of coffee and a movie or something while you work. This can get time consuming.)
12-3-12 013

Step 3: Adhere your contact paper to the scarf. Make sure you press down nicely on the edges of the design and that you get out all the wrinkles so it goes on smoothly. (I had some help sticking mine on because it is so big! Thank you, Kim!)
12-3-12 014

Step 4: Take it outside and get to paintin’! Be careful around the edges of the design, and if you use the spray kind, make sure you do light, misty coats so it doesn’t pool under the contact paper (lesson learned the hard way!).
12-3-12 016

Step 5: Let it dry, and wear it proudly!
IMG_2627   

*Check your paint directions for any special washing instructions, and you are good to go.

I was a little over ambitious when I first thought of this project. I was going to make a unicorn scarf, but decided I didn’t want to spend hours and hours cutting thirty unicorns out, so I switched it up. Changing directions mid-projects is sometimes frustrating, but thankfully rewarding in this particular situation.

 

Happy Crafting, friends!

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!